Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing, malcolm gladwell masterclass free download
In 24 lessons, the author of Blink and The Tipping Point teaches you how to find, research, and write stories that capture big ideas.
Transform your storytelling. In his first-ever online class, Malcolm analyzes his own works to reveal his unique creative process.
Transform the ordinary
Ketchup. Crime. Quarterbacks. Thanks to Malcolm Gladwell, these ordinary subjects have helped millions of readers devour complex ideas like behavioral economics and performance prediction. Now, the renowned storyteller and best-selling author of Blink and The Tipping Point is teaching his craft online for the first time. Write stories that captivate by learning how Malcolm researches topics, crafts characters, and distills big ideas into simple, powerful narratives.
- 01 IntroductionMeet your instructor—best-selling author and longtime New Yorker staff writer, Malcolm Gladwell. Malcolm outlines what he has planned for your class and reflects on the idea of writing as a calling.
- 02 Structuring Narrative: The Imperfect PuzzleMalcolm likes an imperfect argument—the perfect argument is too obvious. Learn how Malcolm builds an open-ended puzzle into his story, “The Ketchup Conundrum.”
- 03 Holding Readers: Tools for EngagementData is a big part of Malcolm’s stories. Learn three ways Malcolm helps readers digest data and engage with complex ideas in his writing.
- 04 Holding Readers: Controlling InformationLearn how to use surprises, guessing games, and suspense to invite readers into your story.
- 05 ResearchMalcolm shares his guiding principles to uncovering a good idea for a story through research.
- 06 Selecting the StoryWhat makes a story worth pursuing? Malcolm talks through his criteria for spotting a unique story and the first steps of story development.
- 07 Developing the StoryLearn how Malcolm grows the idea of a story, and how he tests new ideas with family and friends.
- 08 Developing the Story: Analogous WorldsUsing David and Goliath and “What the Dog Saw,” Malcolm teaches you how to look for patterns and draw connections between seemingly disparate ideas.
- 09 InterviewingThe interview is the critical foundation for developing character in nonfiction. Malcolm teaches you how to conduct an interview to uncover what is uniquely interesting about your subject.
- 10 Characters: DescriptionsMalcolm breaks down two pieces of his own writing—one written for The New Yorker and one for a medical journal—to illustrate how he brings a new character to life.
- 11 Characters: World BuildingIf you could choose to describe a character by the way they look, or by what they keep in their bedroom, Malcolm says to choose the bedroom. Learn how to use the setting and action around a character to build their personality.
- 12 Character Case Study: “The Pitchman”Malcolm believes that when you reveal story is just as important as what that story is. He explains this idea with an in-depth look at one of his favorite characters, late-night television pitchman Ron Popeil.
- and more…
Free Full Video Malcolm Gladwell masterclass download
Content retrieved from: https://www.masterclass.com/classes/malcolm-gladwell-teaches-writing.