Shonda Rhimes Teaches Writing for Television, shonda rhimes masterclass free download
In 6+ hours of video lessons, Shonda teaches you her playbook for writing and creating hit television.
Get Shonda’s story bibles, pilot scripts and Grey’s Anatomy pitch notes.
Make Great Television
When Shonda Rhimes pitched Grey’s Anatomy she got so nervous she had to start over. Twice. Since then, she has created and produced TV’s biggest hits. In her class, Shonda teaches you how to create compelling characters, write a pilot, pitch your idea, and stand out in the writers’ room. You’ll also get original pilot scripts, pitch notes, and series bibles from her shows. Welcome to Shondaland.
- 01 IntroductionWelcome to Shondaland. Meet Shonda, the woman behind some of television’s biggest and most talked about hits, and learn what she’ll teach you about the craft of writing for television.
- 02 Teach Yourself TV WritingShonda discusses the importance of knowing your television history and how you can learn some of the fundamentals of storytelling on your own.
- 03 Finding an IdeaIt all begins with an idea. Shonda reveals her process for finding and assessing ideas, and determining what makes a great idea for a TV series.
- 04 Developing the ConceptShow titles, story bibles, tone, structure – Shonda walks you through how to take your idea and turn it into a fully-fleshed out concept.
- 05 Researching Your StoryEffective research can make your story come to life. Using case studies from Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy, Shonda discusses her techniques and method for conducting research for her stories.
- 06 Creating Memorable Characters: Part 1Meredith Grey, Olivia Pope, Cristina Yang – Shonda has created some of the most memorable characters to grace television. In this chapter, Shonda breaks down how she approaches the character development process.
- 07 Creating Memorable Characters: Part 2Shonda shares her techniques on how to effectively develop and evolve your characters when writing your stories, including when and how to kill off characters.
- 08 Pitching Your ShowYou can’t make a TV show without pitching it first. Shonda shares how she originally pitched Grey’s Anatomy to network executives and her top tips for how to deliver an effective pitch.
- 09 Writing a Script: StructureShonda breaks down the five acts of television and what needs to be accomplished in each one to tell an effective story in a one-hour drama.
- 10 Writing a Script: ProcessYou have your premise, your characters, and your research. Now it’s time to write your script. Shonda talks about her own process for preparing to write a script, including how to create beat sheets and outlines.
- and more…