Get Free Video Thomas Keller Teaches Cooking Techniques II: Meats, Stocks, and Sauces
Chef Thomas Keller returns with a second MasterClass to teach the essential techniques for cooking meats and making stocks and sauces.
Enroll today to get access to exclusive video lessons and a downloadable cookbook. Watch while you cook—learn on desktop or mobile.
Improve your skills in the kitchen
As a follow-up to his first MasterClass, Chef Keller devotes his second class to beef, duck, chicken, pork, and veal—and the techniques he uses to prepare them. Learn to sauté, pan and oven roast, braise, fry, and grill, and to select the best cut of meat for each technique with confidence. Then, learn to make the stocks and sauces that are essentials in Chef Keller’s restaurant kitchens.
- 01 IntroductionBack to teach his second MasterClass, Chef Thomas Keller shares why he’s returned, and outlines the techniques he’ll teach you—and the philosophy you’ll use to approach all your learning in the kitchen.
- 02 Getting Started: Meat Cuts and QualityChef Keller walks you through the grades and variety of cuts of beef, pork, and poultry. Learn the difference between choice and prime, the meaning of marbling, the purpose of air-drying meat, and the benefits of dry or wet aging
- 03 Sauté: Chicken PaillardChef Keller teaches you his paillard technique through this versatile, light dish finished with a sauce you’ll learn in Chapter 19: Vinaigrettes. Learn how to pound out a protein for a thin cut and how to execute a quick sauté.
- 04 Sauté: Wiener SchnitzelUsing veal top round and building on techniques you learned in Chapter 3: Chicken Paillard, Chef Keller teaches you his tricks for achieving an airy, crisp layer of breading and the perfect level of seasoning.
- 05 Fried ChickenChef Keller teaches you how to make the fried chicken served every other Monday at his restaurant Ad Hoc. Learn how to brine and break down a whole chicken and fry each piece to perfection.
- 06 Technique: Oven Roasting OverviewChef Keller gives an overview of the meats you’ll be roasting in the next three chapters, including three cuts of beef, two cuts of lamb, and a whole chicken. Then, learn how to calibrate your oven, and the importance of bringing proteins to temp.
- 07 Pan Roasting: Duck BreastChef Keller teaches you his pan-roasting technique for Pekin duck breast, including how to render the fat for a crispy skin and how to achieve the perfect medium-rare finish. Then learn how to make a honey-orange gastrique sauce for a sweet and sour finish.
- 08 Pan Roasting: Côte de BœufChef Keller thinks of côte de bœuf, or rib steak, as a celebratory dish, built for sharing. Learn how to air-dry, truss, and roast a rib steak, and how to prepare a maître d’hôtel butter for the final flourish.
- 09 Oven Roasting: ChickenLearn how to re-create what Chef Keller describes as his first choice for his “last meal.” Chef Keller explains the benefits of brining and air-drying, and teaches you how to truss and roast a chicken in a single pot with vegetables.
- 10 Oven Roasting: Blowtorch Prime Rib RoastThe main ingredient is a center-cut rib roast, and a key implement is a propane blowtorch. Learn Chef Keller’s technique for a prime rib roast cooked to an even medium rare in every slice.
- and more…
Download Video Courses