Werner Herzog Teaches Filmmaking, werner herzog masterclass free download
In 6 hours of video lessons, Werner Herzog teaches his uncompromising approach to documentary and feature filmmaking.
In his first ever online class, learn from legendary director Werner Herzog. Only available through MasterClass.
Capture the spectacular
When the legendary director Werner Herzog was 19, he stole a camera and made his first movie. 70 films and 50 awards later, Werner is teaching documentary and feature filmmaking. You’ll learn storytelling, cinematography, locations, self-financing, documentary interview techniques, and how to bring your ideas to life. By the end, you’ll make uncompromising films.
- 01 IntroductionMeet your new instructor, a self-taught filmmaker who’s made films on all seven continents. Are you ready to become a ‘soldier of cinema’?
- 02 Teach Yourself Storytelling: Watch FilmsWerner teaches you the importance of careful film analysis by deconstructing the opening scene of Viva Zapata, starring Marlon Brando.
- 03 Teach Yourself Storytelling: ReadIf you want to master storytelling, don’t just watch movies. Werner explains why reading is key to becoming a great filmmaker and shares passages from his mandatory reading list.
- 04 Writing a ScriptForget the three-act screenwriting structure. Werner reveals how he draws on poetry and Beethoven to inspire scripts that capture his vision in words.
- 05 Financing First FilmsYou don’t need millions to make a movie. With $10,000 and an extraordinary idea you can start the journey toward bringing your project to the screen.
- 06 Negotiation SkillsFilm is an art—but it’s also a business. Werner shares his insights into the industry to help you learn how to protect your stories.
- 07 LocationsJungles, oceans, and volcanic craters—Werner has shot movies in them all. Learn how to find spectacular locations and turn them into functional sets for your own films.
- 08 Leading The PlatoonWhen Christian Bale had to eat real maggots in Rescue Dawn, Werner offered to eat them first. Here, he explains the power of leading by example to inspire your cast and crew.
- 09 Set RulesIn filmmaking, if you’re on time, you’re late. Be professional: Organize your set to tell the story, not to impress anyone. Forget the director’s chair, turn off your cell phone, and stay close to your actors.
- 10 Camera: Shooting StrategyKeep it simple, focused, and efficient—don’t shoot coverage. Learn how to use one camera to make the best film possible.
- 11 Camera: CinematographyLearn how to paint with light, work with cinematographers, and bring your vision to life with extraordinary images.
- 12 Camera: TechniquesWerner teaches the basic rules of cinematography—and how to break them—to maximize your creative vision.
- and more..